Understanding Seven Useful Stock Market Terms in Stock Market Trading
- Going long – buying a share.
- Selling long – selling a share.
- Going short – buying a share that the investor does not own.
- Selling short – selling a share that the investor does not own.
- Covering short – buying a share that the investor sold short.
Round lot – for reasons of convenience, buy and sell orders are usually requested in multiples of 100 shares.
Odd lot – orders that are not multiples of 100. Because these orders cause confusion and other problems, the fees charged for them are higher.